COVENANT mud. pH is a numbers indicates the
UNIVERSITY, CANNANLAND OTA, OGUN STATE, NIGERIA.
ON RHEOLOGY OF A MEASURE OF DRILLING FLUID
UKWU DAVID NNAEMEKA
TITLE: HYDROGEN ION CONCENTRATION.
OF JANUARY 2018.
This experiment is completed to decide the rheology of a
measure of drilling fluids (mud).
It is done to determine some vital properties of mud. Most
drilling muds are treated to be alkaline (i.e pH > 7).
The measurement of pH is determined by comparing the colour
change or colour developed on the immersion of the paper strip into the
prepared mud sample.
The test is used to control the pH condition of the mud, pH
control includes maintenance of lime-treated muds,
TABLE OF CONTENTS
The pH is vital, this is because
of, it directly affects the solubility of the organic contaminant removal,
corrosion control and the dispersal of colloidal particles present in the mud.
pH is a numbers indicates the
concentration in liquid. Its used to indicate or test for the degree of acidity
or alkalinity of drilling fluids (mostly mud). Generally, pH values range from
(0-14) which is the measurement range of hydrogen concentration in the fluid.
When the pH scale reads 7, it means
the pH reading is neutral, if the pH is higher than 7, then the hydrogen ion
concentration is alkaline, if its
1. Electric mixer.
2. Weighing balance.
3. pH paper slip.
4. pH meter.
Fig 1: electric mixer
Fig 2: weighing balance.
Fig 3: pH paper.
Fig 4: pH meter.
1. Electric mixer: used for mixing the mud sample.
2. Weighing balance: used to determine the weight of sample to be
3. pH paper: used in colorimetric test for pH concentration,
manually my colour change.
4. pH meter: device used to automatically read and determine the
pH concentration of the sample mud.
SAMPLE ONE (BENTONNITE AND
1. Measure 25g of bentonite.
2. Measure 350ml of water.
3. Pour the measure water
into the mixing cup and fix on the mixer, then gradually pour the bentonite
measured sample into the mixer cup for uniform mixer,
4. Mix till you get a uniform mixture, without the presence of
Tear off a piece of pH
paper, and place the paper on the surface of the fluid or mud.
When the colour of the pH
paper stabilizes, the colour on the higher side of the paper, which didn’t have
contact with the mud, should be used to match on the standard chart.
Switch on the pH meter,
Click on the pH mode on
the pH meter.
Put the electrode in the
mud that we want to test the pH.
Wait for a while for the
readings to stabilize. Then record your read of the pH of the mud.
Remove the electrode ,
rinse the probe with distilled water.
1. After measuring the salt sample, mix it with the aid of the
electric mixer thoroughly with the first sample.
2. Tear off a piece of pH paper, and place the paper on the
surface of the fluid or mud.
3. When the colour of the pH paper stabilizes, the colour on the
higher side of the paper, which didn’t have contact with the mud, should be
used to match on the standard chart.
4. Switch on the pH meter,
5. Click on the pH mode on the pH meter.
6. Put the electrode in the mud that we want to test the pH.
7. Wait for a while for the readings to stabilize. Then record
your read of the pH of the mud.
8. Remove the electrode, rinse the probe with distilled water.
PH is an esteem speaking to the
hydrogen ion concentration in drilling fluid. We utilize it to demonstrate
acidity or alkalinity of drilling mud particularly water base mud, its
important because it directly affects the solubility of the thinners,
contaminant removal, corrosion control and dispersal of colloidal particles
occurring in the mud.
Mud should be stirred properly
the record the pH of the mud, because some muds, when the settle the allow
filtrate to form which can be either lower or higher than the actual pH.
1. I ensured I avoided parallax error when using the measuring
cylinder, by reading at the meniscus level of the water.
2. I ensured that there was absences of lumps after mixing the
3. I ensure I kept the probe moist at all times and keep it clean
at all times.
4. I ensure to replace the rubber cap after using the probe.
The pH test is important to know
the a degree of alkalinity or acidity of a mud sample, which In turn helps with
various decisions on the drilling mud.